Re: GRUB maintainership

 EB> Heh.  Yeah, I'm OK with that.  I'm also OK with the idea of being
 EB> more focused for a while, to help you guys get a first version
 EB> out.

It's good to know that you aren't defensive about this. :)

I'll try hard not to step on your toes, and to keep open communication
about the things I'm working on.

 EB> Do you guys have a "really-want" list?

I have my own personal list, some of which I've already implemented:

* A few minor consistency fixes in the UI. (done)
* Some bugs fixed.  The most obvious one is in asm.S:

1999-02-02  Gordon Matzigkeit  <gord@trick.fig.org>

	* shared_src/asm.S: Fix typo that called interrupt 0xd (decimal
	13) instead of 0x13.

Try searching for $13 to find it.

I spent some quality time in front of a debugger last night, and I
found a few places in the asm code that I think can be done a little
less obtusely.

More importantly, I've discovered a gas bug in the Debian
binutils-2.9.1.0.19a-2 package that totally screws up GRUB.  A report
is forthcoming.

 EB> I'm nearly to a 0.5.1 (as in putting up some code this weekend
 EB> sometime) which has several things that have been requested plus
 EB> bug-fixes like some more consistent error reporting that Roland
 EB> asked for.

I'll package up 0.5 (or 0.5.1 if it's out) along with my patches for
Debian, and send you the details after I've figured out what's going
on.

The most important feature I want is described in the next mail.  The
most important bug that needs fixing is support for the LS-120 IDE
floppy drive.  I don't have one, but I'm sure somebody on debian-hurd
can give you a report, if you haven't gotten one already.

 EB> Another point is that I'm seriously looking at converting the UI
 EB> entirely to a command-line (or at least having a pure
 EB> command-line option)

Yes, I agree that having such an option is important.  I'd like to
keep the GUI, though, for console installs (it's a selling feature).
If you want to discuss design issues, I'd be happy to hear from you.

 EB> Motto: "I'll live forever or die trying"

Oh, good.  Your last mail didn't have your .sig, so I was afraid you'd
given up. ;)

--
 Gordon Matzigkeit <gord@fig.org> //\ I'm a FIG (http://www.fig.org/)
    Lovers of freedom, unite!     \// I use GNU (http://www.gnu.org/)