egcs or gcc?

For C++, the answer is easy: egcs is the state of the art.

For gcc, the answer is a bit harder: i386 does use gcc, other
plattforms use egcs. The main reason for i386 to use is because gcc
2.8.1 does not get the assembler code in the Linux kernel right.

I propose that we use egcs for both, C and C++. Any objections?

I will have egcs packages ready somewhat later this week. I am running a
bootstrap build right now (I just rebooted, because it crashed again).

Thisleads to another question: can I have a swap file instead a swap
partition? If yes, how so?

Consider egcs done.