Re: A problem I can't solve

On Thu, Jan 14, 1999 at 03:55:50PM -0500, Roland McGrath wrote:
> > You may be right, but a package that installed both /usr/lib/foo and
> > /lib/foo would have to be perverse, in my opinion.  Both are searched
> > by default, so one is as good as the other, except when /usr is not
> > mounted.  Because /lib comes first (I think), and / is always mounted,
> > installing /usr/lib/libfoo.so.1 when /lib/libfoo.so.1 exists would
> > have no effect.
>
> Well, then we think alike.  A package that installed both /usr/bin/foo and
> /bin/foo would have to be perverse, in my opinion.  Both are searched by
> default, so one is as good as the other, except when /usr is not mounted.

Well, the point is that usr/lib -> /lib will cause less to none problems
than /usr -> /, because we map much less back tot he root filesystem, and
conflicts in lib directories are less expected than problems in bin
directories.

However, this is all moot if we can add support for /usr/lib to the linker
easily, which we should do in the Debian packages, IMHO.

> Recall now that all of this was prompted by a package that did just that.
> So go figure.

This is not correct. I know at least one packages which does install the
same directories in lib and /usr/lib (the libc5-compat package, which
fortunately doesn't apply to the Hurd), but I don't know of any files.

Which package do you mean? The original report was about /usr/lib not being
searched.