Re: A problem I can't solve

Roland McGrath <roland@frob.com> wrote:
> The /usr/lib -> /lib symlink is likely to have the same kinds of issues as
> /usr -> / does (/usr/lib/foo vs /lib/foo in one package), so if you decide
> to punt the /usr symlink then I don't see why you wouldn't just punt the
> unified layout entirely.

You may be right, but a package that installed both /usr/lib/foo and
/lib/foo would have to be perverse, in my opinion.  Both are searched
by default, so one is as good as the other, except when /usr is not
mounted.  Because /lib comes first (I think), and / is always mounted,
installing /usr/lib/libfoo.so.1 when /lib/libfoo.so.1 exists would
have no effect.

> (Note that I have not offered an opinion on /usr vs not.)

Duly noted.  :-)