Re: libc6_2.0.106-0.1_i386.deb is released

On Sun, 20 Dec 1998, Roland McGrath wrote:
>   (Switching to libio requires a
> soname change, and when it will really buy us something is when we
> implement pthreads, which will also require a soname change.  Pthreads is
> not likely to happen real soon, so if libio happened first there would be
> two soname changes by the end of it.)

Excuse me if I'm missing something obvious or this has been discussed
elsewhere: Why will implementing pthreads require a soname change?
Won't it simply augment the existing ABI, or will it force some other
interface to break?  If pthreads goes in a separate library as is the
case for Linux, I don't see any need for binary incompatibility,
either forwards or backwards.

-John