Re: libc6_2.0.106-0.1_i386.deb is released

> Excuse me if I'm missing something obvious or this has been discussed
> elsewhere: Why will implementing pthreads require a soname change?
> Won't it simply augment the existing ABI, or will it force some other
> interface to break?  If pthreads goes in a separate library as is the
> case for Linux, I don't see any need for binary incompatibility,
> either forwards or backwards.

The problem is that there are a few nits in the existing hurd libc ABI that
involve cthreads and the current (pre-pthreads) multithreading support in
libc.  Those may be different or absent with pthreads.  It might be
avoidable, but it's not worth a lot of effort; with debian, it should not
be so big a deal to recompile everything for a new ABI when no source code
has to be changed.  (Also, we are going to switch to libio not long after
we have pthreads, and that has numerous ABI changes.)