Re: more hurd problems

Hi!

 >> Matthew, all your partition names were fine *except* for the
 >> location of the paging file.  /dev/hd1b refers to the second
 >> BSD-style partiton on the second hard disk.  /dev/hd1s2 refers to
 >> the second fdisk-style partition on the second hard disk (your
 >> Hurd swap partiton).

 MCV> So when (if at all) do I use the BSD-style ones?

Only if you already have some *BSD system installed, and used it to
partition your disk.  All the BSD's use a different kind of
partitioning scheme: you divide an fdisk'ed ``slice'' into BSD
``subpartitions''.

So, sd0s1b refers to the BSD `b' partition within slice 1.  sd0b is
only a valid partition when you don't have any fdisk'ed slices on your
hard drive.

In other words, if you're not using a BSD system (i.e. you're using
only Linux or the Hurd), you should totally ignore the whole idea of
BSD slices, because they just add confusion.

--
 Gordon Matzigkeit <gord@fig.org> //\ I'm a FIG (http://www.fig.org/)
    Lovers of freedom, unite!     \// I use GNU (http://www.gnu.org/)