cross-dpkg problems

Hi, all!

I've finally got a working Hurd platform again, so I've been seeing
what can be done to make it easier for people to start installing and
using Debian GNU/Hurd packages.

Basically, dpkg is not suitable for cross-platform installations,
because the --instroot option uses the chroot call, which breaks all
the installation scripts (i.e. they see only Hurd binaries, rather
than the current system's).  There's no easy solution to this problem,
aside from running dpkg under the Hurd.

So, to bootstrap the system, I'll be putting together a simple shell
script to extract the basic Debian packages from a non-Hurd system.
As soon as that's done, Debian GNU/Hurd should be pretty close to
catching up to where gnu-0.2 left off.

Joey has been trying to call me recently, too, so I should be a
registered Debian developer RSN (then Santiago and Marcus shouldn't be
lonely anymore). ;)

Anyway, take care,

--
 Gordon Matzigkeit <gord@fig.org> //\ I'm a FIG (http://www.fig.org/)