Re: cross-dpkg problems

On Sat, 7 Nov 1998, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:

> Good News:
> [...]
>
>     +--------------------------------------------------------+
>     |  unpacked                                              |
>     |         The package is unpacked, but not configured.   |
>     +--------------------------------------------------------+

The bad news is that dpkg --unpack does also try to execute the preinst,
when it does exist.

My opinion about bootstrapping is this:

-> We should create a "base system" the Debian way.

The Debian base system (base2_0.tgz) is created by the boot-floppies
package, by unpacking all the base packages into an empty directory using
dpkg's --root option (natively).

However, we will be unable to do it untill we have all the base
packages ported.

We still need Debian packages for perl, for example.

--
 "ede52a866244c0ad4b8734b37d30aaf1" (a truly random sig)