Re: cross-dpkg problems

On Fri, Nov 06, 1998 at 06:09:31PM -0500, Roland McGrath wrote:

> > I am not sure what you mean. I'mnot sure if there is an option for dpkg to
> > not run them. You could write a small script which removes the scripts from
> > the package before installation.
>
> No, I want something clean (i.e. an option to not run them).

Good News:

   PACKAGE STATES
       installed
              The package is unpacked and configured OK.

       half-installed
              The  installation  of the package has been started,
              but not completed for some reason.

       not-installed
              The package is not installed on your system.

    |  unpacked                                              |
    |         The package is unpacked, but not configured.   |

       half-configured
              The package is unpacked and configuration has  been
              started, but not yet completed for some reason.

       config-files
              Only  the  configuration files of the package exist
              on the system.

       dpkg -i | --install package_file...
              Install the package. If --recursive or -R option is
              specified,  package_file  must refer to a directory
              instead.

              Installation consists of the following steps:

              1. Extract the control files of the new package.

              2. If another  version  of  the  same  package  was
              installed  before  the  new  installation,  execute
              prerm script of the old package.

              3. Run preinst script, if provided by the  package.

              4.  Unpack the new files, and at the same time back
              up the old files, so that if something goes  wrong,
              they can be restored.

              5.  If  another  version  of  the  same package was
              installed before the new installation, execute  the
              postrm  script  of  the old package. Note that this
              script is executed after the preinst script of  the
              new  package,  because new files are written at the

      | dpkg --unpack package_file ...                             |
      |        Unpack  the  package,  but  don't  configure it. If |
      |        --recursive or -R option is specified, package_file |
      |        must refer to a directory instead.                  |

       dpkg --configure package ... | -a | --pending
              Reconfigure  an unpacked package.  If -a or --pend­
              ing is given instead of package, all  unpacked  but
              unconfigured packages are configured.

              Configuring consists of the following steps:

              1.  Unpack the configuration files, and at the same
              time back up the old configuration files,  so  that
              they can be restored if something goes wrong.

              2. Run postinst script, if provided by the package.

There are many more useful options, like "-C"=audit, which searches for
unpacked but not fully installed packages.

In conjunction with "--root=/gnu" and "--force-architecture", this is all
you need.

[in linux]

dpkg --unpack --recursive --root=/gnu/ --force-architecture /usr/local/hurd/debs/

[reboot to hurd]

dpkg --configure --pending

Cheers,