Re: A couple of debian/hurd questions

On Fri, Aug 21, 1998 at 01:24:24PM +1000, David Maslen wrote:
> Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de> writes:
> > The MAKEDEV script will create them for you. Look in the SETUP script of the
> > gnu-0.2 distribution. I can sent it to you if you like. Note that the ghhk
> > is minimal, in the sense that it is a starter fro developers. The gnu-0.2
> > distribution may work better for you.
>
> Well I have this, but didn't use it as it takes more than 96meg, and
> I'm trying to fit the system on a zip disk. I wanted a minimal system,
> so that as I install things with dpkg, I'm adding rather than
> overwriting.

See, I think the approach you choose is generally good, but will cost you
more amount than the other way round. It is just so that the Hurd requires
some amount of knowledge to get working. Unfortunately, I'm not using the
ghhk any more, so I don't know what is missing (I could find out by looking
at the tar content). If you have the gnu-0.2, there are some ways to make it
very much smaller:

a) "strip --strip-unneeded" on all executables and shared libraries.
b) "strip --strip-debug" on all static libraries (or delete them, the
   /lib/*.a files I mean)
c) Delete profile libraries (/lib/lib*_p.a), you won't need them probably.
d) Delete documentation (/info).
e) Delete unneeded binaries or other parts (/games comes to mind).

If you do this, I would think that you can put it on a zip disk.

> I once tried overwriting a redhat install with
> debian. The result was a lot of excess files, which filled the
> harddrive, and I was never sure who owned what.

I see your point, and think you are alright. It is just a matter of
convenience to use the gnu-0.2 distribution. If you have time to spent to do
it right, build it up from scratch, as I do. But it can cost you some hours
of your sleep :)

> Is it safe to mix and match between gnu2.0 and the ghhk?

Who knows. It should, they use the same libraries. Probably Gord can comment
on it.

> Can I copy some parts of the gnu distribution into my minimal setup?

Yes. Strip the binaries and libraries as above, you'll save disk space (but
won't be able to debug anymore).

[about dpkg]
> Ah yes. Well I didn't read the instructions. Just untarred the file.
> I'll find them and read them.

I finished my math exam in analysis, and am now able to work on the hurd
again. dpkg as little priority know, bash is more important, but dpkg comes
soon after that. So, I appreciate all bug reports etc. I'm especially
interested why the hurd crashes on sub processes sometimes.

Thank you,