Re: A couple of debian/hurd questions

Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de> writes:
> The MAKEDEV script will create them for you. Look in the SETUP script of the
> gnu-0.2 distribution. I can sent it to you if you like. Note that the ghhk
> is minimal, in the sense that it is a starter fro developers. The gnu-0.2
> distribution may work better for you.

Well I have this, but didn't use it as it takes more than 96meg, and
I'm trying to fit the system on a zip disk. I wanted a minimal system,
so that as I install things with dpkg, I'm adding rather than
overwriting. I once tried overwriting a redhat install with
debian. The result was a lot of excess files, which filled the
harddrive, and I was never sure who owned what.

Is it safe to mix and match between gnu2.0 and the ghhk?
Can I copy some parts of the gnu distribution into my minimal setup?

> > None of the dpkg commands work. The system locks up with the following
> > error, libdpkg.so.0.0 object file: no such file or directory.
>
> Seems the libraries are not in place, and the linker can't find them. How
> did you install the package? Have you followed the directions in the
> README/Announcement? There are some known problems, and it is not guaranteed
> to work at all. If you have a Debian system, you can also mount the
> partition and use "dpkg --root=/mnt/gnu" or whatever... but be careful with
> this. Installing the wrong package on the wrong system can be disasterous.
> It's all in very early development yet.

Ah yes. Well I didn't read the instructions. Just untarred the file.
I'll find them and read them.

--
Binary Bar - Australia's first free access internet bar/cafe/gallery.
243 Brunswick Street, Fitzroy, Melbourne, Australia. 3pm - 1am