Re: hp 9000 C3750 hardware problem (partially off-topic)

Thanks, you all were right, eventually I found the problem. The capacitor fell down from the back of a memory module. https://drive.google.com/open?id=1XM1flQz7lMotcmNZdnDozLOFDJeaf6v-rA  Now I resoldered it and the system is working, here are the info:

rocky:/proc# uname -a
Linux rocky 2.6.26-2-parisc #1 Sun Mar 4 17:37:14 UTC 2012 parisc GNU/Linux
rocky:/proc# cat cpuinfo
processor       : 0
cpu family      : PA-RISC 2.0
cpu             : PA8700 (PCX-W2)
cpu MHz         : 875.000000
model           : 9000/785/C3750
model name      : Allegro W2
hversion        : 0x00005dc0
sversion        : 0x00000481
I-cache         : 768 KB
D-cache         : 1536 KB (WB, direct mapped)
ITLB entries    : 240
DTLB entries    : 240 - shared with ITLB
BTLB            : not supported
bogomips        : 1744.89
software id     : 2000777092

rocky:/proc# cat meminfo
MemTotal:      3627816 kB
MemFree:       3550872 kB
Buffers:          5468 kB
Cached:          40312 kB
SwapCached:          0 kB
Active:          31052 kB
Inactive:        28252 kB
SwapTotal:      979956 kB
SwapFree:       979956 kB
Dirty:              36 kB
Writeback:           0 kB
AnonPages:       13540 kB
Mapped:          10552 kB
Slab:             5244 kB
SReclaimable:     2304 kB
SUnreclaim:       2940 kB
PageTables:        976 kB
NFS_Unstable:        0 kB
Bounce:              0 kB
WritebackTmp:        0 kB
CommitLimit:   2793864 kB
Committed_AS:    91584 kB
VmallocTotal:   245728 kB
VmallocUsed:      3036 kB
VmallocChunk:   242108 kB
rocky:/proc#

I don't understand, though, why I see only 4 GB of memory while I actually have 8. I guess I'll have to upgrade to the latest version but ... that's another episode :-)

thanks everybody and best regards

Paolo

Looking at the pads by the 24, I don't believe anything was ever soldered onto those pads. Double check the motherboard again for empty pads, and post pictures. You might also want to inspect the PCB's on the hard drives for evidence of missing caps. And any other cards that may be in the computer.

Darren Clark