Re: question about HP Visualize B2000

On Mon, May 11, 2015 at 1:38 PM, Claudio Cailotto
<claudio.cailotto@alice.it> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I’m Claudio and I write from Verona/Italy.
>
> I need a suggestion about an old HP PARISC workstation ( B2000 ) that I wish restore to new life
>
> with Debian release.
>
> I’have install , of course , some release of Debian ( from 5 to 7 ) and some OpenBsd and Gentoo.
>
> All setting  it’s ok : partitions on the HDD’s ; root; time; net on DHCP etc etc... BUT I can’t run X !!!!

Claudio,
You need to use a "frame buffer" (stifb?) driver - this is all
software graphics - no HW acceleration. I used a B2000 as my desktop
(running hppa-linux with X) over 10 years ago.

Please search the the linux-parisc mailing list archives (see
https://parisc.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Main_Page for more info), I'm
 we've posted details of xorg.config files/etc that worked on B2000.

And even if the original parisc-linux.org pages are obsolete, still
useful to read so you know what once-upon-a-time worked:
   http://www.parisc-linux.org/faq/graphics-howto.html

cheers,
grant