Re: NTPL transition

On Fri, 2008-09-05 at 08:17 -0400, Carlos O'Donell wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 4, 2008 at 1:52 PM, James Bottomley
> <James.Bottomley@hansenpartnership.com> wrote:
> > Can we go via an intermediate library that would coexist with current
> > glibc?  Something like libc6-nptl, then we do the transitional update
> > with the tools and other libraries moving over to libc6-nptl, then the
> > final piece of the upgrade is libc6 going to nptl based libc6.1 and we
> > remove the transitional libc6-nptl?  This type of flip will have to be
> > done via ld.so.conf magic, but it should be doable.
>
> No, due to library-to-library dependencies you have the same problem.
> You would either have to rebuild *all* the libraries or continue
> splitting each library into two packages lib and lib-nptl.

We are going to have to rebuild all the libraries, that's not an option
because of the ABI change.

The problem is not to avoid this, but to find a way of doing an online
upgrade.  The real problem we have to avoid is breaking system tools
that are required to perform the upgrade in the intermediate steps.  I
don't rule out that will require us to pull this trick with some
libraries in addition to libc, but I don't think it will be all of them.
Just doing libc will probably fix the majority of the issues, though.

James