Re: NTPL transition

On Thu, Sep 04, 2008 at 11:31:52AM -0400, Carlos O'Donell wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 4, 2008 at 11:23 AM, dann frazier <dannf@dannf.org> wrote:
> > I've already done the initial bootstrapping and John Wright and I have
> > a buildd actively rebuilding bits against sid. We're rsyncing the
> > results out to here:
> >  http://parisc-linux.org/~dannf/hppa-nptl-mirror/unstable/
> >
> > Suffice to say, the rebuild is going fairly smoothly. But, I wonder
> > how we're going to transition systems over to an NPTL userspace. Does
> > anyone have a plan for that?
>
> Isn't this the responsibility of the package manager?
>
> Why wouldn't apt-get dist-upgrade work?

We had a discussion about this on IRC, a while back, let me see if I
can recap...

If we continue to use libc6 as the package name as we're currently
doing, at some point libc will get upgraded to the NPTL interface and
things will start crashing immediately. I asked if we could just do
"whatever x86 did", and kyle said that we have a problem they didn't -
our data nptl/lt data structures are incompatible.

We can deal with that to an extent by adding a second libc package,
e.g., libc6.1. But, jejb pointed out that, since most libs depend on
libc, we'll need to be able to have libs for both interfaces at the
same time to support a transitional upgrade - and that implies an
SONAME bump for every C library.

Hopefully there's an easier way, but I don't know of one.

--
dann frazier