Re: hi and I need some help with an hp9000/889/k460

Dieter Ries wrote:

Hi,
the 64bit kernel image. kernel starts and initializes everything, but
then it writes

"RAMDISK driver initialized: 16 RAM disks of 12944k size 1024
blocksize" "RAMDISK driver initialized: 16 RAM disks of 12944k size
1024 blocksize" "RAMDISK driver initialized: 16 RAM disks of 12944k
size 1024 blocksize" "RAMDISK driver initialized: 16 RAM disks of
12944k size 1024 blocksize" "RAMDISK driver initialized: 16 RAM disks
of 12944k size 1024 blocksize"
known problem, see:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-hppa/2006/01/msg00088.html
Replying to myself as I realize i might have read that a bit too
quickly. This message isn't bogus per se, and is unrelated to the
message i linked to (my bad, shouldn't post past 2AM :P).

The dump i'm seeing on that picture:
http://kankra.homelinux.org/thg/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_
itemId=421 might be the actual bug...

as i said, these lines are not displayed when using the 32bit kernel, but the ramdisk error is the same. Somewhere in the net i read about 32bit compatibility of these hp machines, is it possible to use the 32bit kernel for the installation?
Yes, afaik some drivers for this kind of hw (I use to test a d380 a brotherhood of this Kclass) are not yet 64bit ready, I would so advise you to use only 32bit kernel for the moment ;-)

That said, this d380 was installed with a sarge install cd but needed to change manualy:

ramdisk_size=16384 to ramdisk_size=32768,

may be could you try this tips (may be this pb is not yet fixed?)

the link you sent and the other links on that page show problems with the ramdisk, but not exactly the same problem as we have it here, that the driver for the ramdisk is loaded a thousand times, could nevertheless increasing the ramdisk size be a solution?

I trust it would certainly help.

TIA for feed back,
   Joel