hi and I need some help with an hp9000/889/k460

Hi everyone.
I am new to the list, so I am goonna tell you somethin about me.

I am 19 years old and going to school in Wiesbaden/Germany.
I am going to do my final exams at school in 3 weeks, and afterwards I am
going to study physics in Zurich.
I am using gentoo and debian Linux on my home PC and laptop.
I have got an hp/compaq presario server running all day and night, accessible
at
www.kankra.homelinux.org

No I will come to the point why I am writing to the list:
Me and a friend, Thomas Gersdorf, are having access to some more ore less old
but nevertheless nice computers via Bernd Ulmann (www.vaxman.de) who is a
collector of VAX/digital computers. He has also got some non-VAX/digital
computers, and we are allowed to play with them

one is an hp9000/889/k460, with HP-UX on it, but we dont have any passwords
for it. So we decided to install Linux on it. we tried some gentoo-hppa, but
it didnt work. then we tried OpenBSD because we didn't know about other linux
distributions with hppa support. it didn't work either. So we have com to
debian, where we first tried to boot a Sarge binary-hppa CD. it nearly
worked, but the system froze during the boot process without any error
message. we were about to give up, but then i found an old howto from 2k3
where the k-class was mentioned supported with .isos tagged "PDC". because I
didnt  find any of those isos, i emailed to Thibaut Varene, who answered
yesterday and wrote that Etch would do it with  console=ttyB0 as a boot
option.
so i downloaded etch isos and we went to the place where the machine is
standing, and tried.

at first everything looks good, the ttyB0 seems standard, and we chose the
64bit kernel image. kernel starts and initializes everything, but then it
writes

"RAMDISK driver initialized: 16 RAM disks of 12944k size 1024 blocksize"
"RAMDISK driver initialized: 16 RAM disks of 12944k size 1024 blocksize"
"RAMDISK driver initialized: 16 RAM disks of 12944k size 1024 blocksize"
"RAMDISK driver initialized: 16 RAM disks of 12944k size 1024 blocksize"
"RAMDISK driver initialized: 16 RAM disks of 12944k size 1024 blocksize"
.
.
.

and so on.

we tried to change the size of the ramdisk, but this only had the effect that
the message turned into

"RAMDISK driver initialized: 16 RAM disks of 8000k size 1024 blocksize"

The machine has 1G of ram,  so thats not the problem. we then tried the 32bit
kernel, just for fun, but it had the same problem. the only difference is
that the 64bit kernel needs longer and displays some cpu tests or something i
dont understand inbetween. i have made many pictures of the terminal, i hope
you can help me with that machine, because it really should be running again.
please ask if you need any further details about the machine, but i dont know
everything, and most things can be seen on the pictures i think.

pictures are located here:

http://kankra.homelinux.org/thg/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=406

thanks in advance,
Dieter Ries