Re: Request for help: upgrade Woody -> Sarge

Grant Grundler wrote:
> Bob Proulx wrote:
> > Please CC me as I am not subscribed.  The Mail-Follow-To: should be
> > set to both the list and myself.

> Good catch. You _can_ run a 64-bit kernel on C240 but should NOT generally.

Okay.  Will load the kernel-image-2.6.8-2-32 package.

Upon further reading of the release notes I see the following:

  On 64bit HPPA machines you will need to upgrade to a newer kernel
  version first before upgrading the system.

I had originally read that to say that I must upgrade the kernel
before upgrading to Sarge because of course the hardware is a 64-bit
cpu.  But now I see that I guess I only need to upgrade the kernel
first if I am already running a 64-bit kernel.  If I am running the
2.4.17-32 kernel then I guess I don't need to upgrade the kernel
first.  Okay.  However really my goal is to upgrade the kernel because
I believe I would see a significant performance boost.  And I am most
of the way there so I might as well continue.

> > I actually took the plunge and followed the release notes and
> > installed the kernel-image-2.6.8-2-64 kernel and rebooted.  It panic'd
> > at boot unable to mount the root filesystem.  I am sure the problem is
> > the initrd part.  I am able to boot the backup kernel.
>
> If the same version 32-bit kernel boots, then I'd blame the
> 64-bit initrd. But otherwise I blame it on devices getting renamed
> unless you only have one SCSI disk.

The problem was the initrd change to /etc/palo.conf that I was
missing.  See my suggestion below.

> > me either.  Can someone clue me in on how do I set up an initrd with palo?
>
> This sounds like something else to add to the release notes.
> 	http://www.pateam.org/parisc-linux-boot/doc.html

That is useful.  What would be even more useful would be to say the
following:

Change from this currently in the release notes:
-  Make your system bootable
-    You will probably have to adapt your boot loader configuration
-    /etc/palo.conf. Note that the kernel now uses an initrd while the
-    Debian kernels in woody did not.

To this instead:
+  Make your system bootable
+    You will probably have to adapt your boot loader configuration
+    /etc/palo.conf. Note that the kernel now uses an initrd while the
+    Debian kernels in woody did not.  Previous installations probably
+    have a line similar to the follow in /etc/palo.conf.  To handle
+    the new modular kernel be sure to add an initrd entry to the
+    command line.
+
+      Replace this:  --commandline=0/boot/vmlinux ...
+      With this:  --commandline=0/boot/vmlinux initrd=0/boot/initrd.img ...

With that in place the machine booted the modular kernel!  Things are
progressing.

But I then ran into networking problems.  Not unexpected and actually
very comforting to see the kernel get past the initrd and move along
to problems I understand better.  I understand that the previous
kernel was not modular but that the new one is and that I need to
configure /etc/modules for any modules that need to be loaded.  This
is common across all of the linux ports.

  lspci | grep Ethernet
  00:14.0 Ethernet controller: Digital Equipment Corporation DECchip 21142/43 (rev 30)

That uses the tulip driver, right?  So I will put "tulip" in
/etc/modules and boot it again.  I am remote at the moment so I will
give it one shot and if it comes up it is good and if not it will wait
until a trip to the console of the machine.  Wahoo!  The C240+ with a
newly installed 32-bit 2.6.8-2-32 kernel booted with "tulip" in
/etc/modules and came up on the network.  Whew!  No

Because so much of the hppa hardware uses that same network device I
would suggestion making that an FAQ too.  It would really help to have
that suggestion right there in the release notes.  How about this
addition?

+ Previous kernel installations compiled in all of the kernel drivers.
+ But the kernel now loads these devices as modules.  To handle the
+ new modular kernel be sure to check your hardware configuration
+ (e.g. lspci) and configure the appropriate drivers in your
+ /etc/modules file.  It is common to need the "tulip" driver
+ configured as a module for the DECchip 211242 ethernet controler.

With the new kernel in place the networking in particular seems much
faster than before.  Which is good because now I have the rest of the
system to upgrade!

Thanks!
Bob