Re: Request for help: upgrade Woody -> Sarge

Bob Proulx wrote:
> Grant Grundler wrote:
> > Bob Proulx wrote:
> > > Please CC me as I am not subscribed.  The Mail-Follow-To: should
be
> > > set to both the list and myself.
>
> > Good catch. You _can_ run a 64-bit kernel on C240 but should NOT
generally.

> Okay.  Will load the kernel-image-2.6.8-2-32 package.
>
> Upon further reading of the release notes I see the following:
>
>   On 64bit HPPA machines you will need to upgrade to a newer kernel
>   version first before upgrading the system.
>
> I had originally read that to say that I must upgrade the kernel
> before upgrading to Sarge because of course the hardware is a 64-bit
> cpu.  But now I see that I guess I only need to upgrade the kernel
> first if I am already running a 64-bit kernel.  If I am running the
> 2.4.17-32 kernel then I guess I don't need to upgrade the kernel
> first.  Okay.  However really my goal is to upgrade the kernel
because
> I believe I would see a significant performance boost.  And I am
most
> of the way there so I might as well continue.

No, that's a misconception. You need to upgrade the kernel because
Sarge's glibc needs a newer (than 2.4.17) kernel to work. If you don't
upgrade your kernel first, you'll end up with a broken system.

HTH

--
Thibaut VARENE
http://www.parisc-linux.org/~varenet/