Re: Request for help: upgrade Woody -> Sarge

Please CC me as I am not subscribed.  The Mail-Follow-To: should be
set to both the list and myself.

Grant Grundler wrote:
> Unrelated to 64-bit kernel/libc6 mess, I was pointed at the hppa
> release notes:
> 	http://www.debian.org/releases/testing/hppa/release-notes/ap-kernel-upgrade-howto.en.html

I am trying to upgrade a C240 from woody to sarge.  Reading those same
release notes I see that it says:

> After that change your sources.list file to point to sarge as
> described in Preparing sources for APT, Section 4.4, update your
> packages lists and install the kernel-image-2.6.8-2-64 package.

But reading the discussion in the archive leads me to believe that I
should *not* load the 64-bit kernel.  I am confused.  Should I follow
the release notes and load the 64-bit kernel or should I choose a
32-bit kernel?

I actually took the plunge and followed the release notes and
installed the kernel-image-2.6.8-2-64 kernel and rebooted.  It panic'd
at boot unable to mount the root filesystem.  I am sure the problem is
the initrd part.  I am able to boot the backup kernel.

Also (as quoted by Grant):
> | Make your system bootable
> | You will probably have to adapt your boot loader configuration
> | /etc/palo.conf. Note that the kernel now uses an initrd while
> | the Debian kernels in woody did not.
>
> If this step needs to happen, it can only happen *after* we have
> booted the new kernel and know the new name of the root/boot disk
> (and other devices listed in /etc/fstab).

That sounds bad.  And right where I need to be.  But I am once again
lost.  The man page for palo is empty.  The /usr/share/doc/palo docs
only mention initrd in passing.  Looking at 'palo --help' did not help
me either.  Can someone clue me in on how do I set up an initrd with
palo?  File /etc/palo.conf:

  --commandline=2/boot/vmlinux root=/dev/sda2 HOME=/
  --recoverykernel=/boot/vmlinux-2.4.17-32
  --init-partitioned=/dev/sda

This is one of those things that is very simple if you know the answer
but completely opaque if not.

>   If the system can't find the root disk when booting the new kernel,
>   reset the system and interact with palo on the next boot attempt.
>   o Add "initrd=/bin/bash" (or "initrd=/bin/sash") parameter.

Shouldn't that be "init=/bin/bash"??  Because initrd=/bin/bash really
does not look right.  How can /bin/bash be a ramdisk?

Thanks!
Bob