Re: Request for help: upgrade Woody -> Sarge

On Mon, Jun 13, 2005 at 04:16:36PM -0600, Bob Proulx wrote:
> Please CC me as I am not subscribed.  The Mail-Follow-To: should be
> set to both the list and myself.
>
> Grant Grundler wrote:
> > Unrelated to 64-bit kernel/libc6 mess, I was pointed at the hppa
> > release notes:
> > 	http://www.debian.org/releases/testing/hppa/release-notes/ap-kernel-upgrade-howto.en.html
>
> I am trying to upgrade a C240 from woody to sarge.  Reading those same
> release notes I see that it says:
>
> > After that change your sources.list file to point to sarge as
> > described in Preparing sources for APT, Section 4.4, update your
> > packages lists and install the kernel-image-2.6.8-2-64 package.
>
> But reading the discussion in the archive leads me to believe that I
> should *not* load the 64-bit kernel.  I am confused.  Should I follow
> the release notes and load the 64-bit kernel or should I choose a
> 32-bit kernel?

Good catch. You _can_ run a 64-bit kernel on C240 but should NOT generally.

> I actually took the plunge and followed the release notes and
> installed the kernel-image-2.6.8-2-64 kernel and rebooted.  It panic'd
> at boot unable to mount the root filesystem.  I am sure the problem is
> the initrd part.  I am able to boot the backup kernel.

If the same version 32-bit kernel boots, then I'd blame the
64-bit initrd. But otherwise I blame it on devices getting renamed
unless you only have one SCSI disk.

> Also (as quoted by Grant):
> > | Make your system bootable
> > | You will probably have to adapt your boot loader configuration
> > | /etc/palo.conf. Note that the kernel now uses an initrd while
> > | the Debian kernels in woody did not.
> >
> > If this step needs to happen, it can only happen *after* we have
> > booted the new kernel and know the new name of the root/boot disk
> > (and other devices listed in /etc/fstab).
>
> That sounds bad.  And right where I need to be.  But I am once again
> lost.  The man page for palo is empty.  The /usr/share/doc/palo docs
> only mention initrd in passing.  Looking at 'palo --help' did not help
> me either.  Can someone clue me in on how do I set up an initrd with
> palo?

This sounds like something else to add to the release notes.
	http://www.pateam.org/parisc-linux-boot/doc.html

See section "4.3. PALO management tool usage" for guidance.
pateam.org has additional documentation on palo - check their home page.

Agreed - release notes need to point at pateam.org how-to.

> >   If the system can't find the root disk when booting the new kernel,
> >   reset the system and interact with palo on the next boot attempt.
> >   o Add "initrd=/bin/bash" (or "initrd=/bin/sash") parameter.
>
> Shouldn't that be "init=/bin/bash"??  Because initrd=/bin/bash really
> does not look right.  How can /bin/bash be a ramdisk?

Oh Sorry! my bad. You are correct - I meant "init=/bin/bash".

thanks!
grant