RE: shiny new rp2430 (A400) won't boot :-(

Hi, again --

  I regret not including the article to which I refer.  Here it
is, in the form of Grant's response to it:

Duraid Madina wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> My nice new rp2430 (looks like an A400, but has a PA-8700 at 650MHz
> inside, not sure if this is the only difference..) arrived this morning.

uhm...it *is* an A-class - see the model string ;^)

> Unfortunately, it doesn't boot!

Right - we have some general issue with PA8700. J6700 doesn't boot either.
While Thomas Bogendoerf was at a recent show (CeBIT?), he had access to
a J6700 to work on. Thomas concluded it was a DMA issue but I couldn't
figure out what exactly. One PA8700/Astro interaction bug workaround was
committed to CVS but I'm convinced that wasn't the issue.

> For the record, as soon as I power on this system, the 'Attention'
> and 'Fault' lights flash, but I have no idea if this is normal, or if not,

> why they're flashing.

It's normal because no one has written the PAT PDC code to update
chassis logs/leds. Since I'm rarely in the computer room where my
A500 lives, it's never bothered me.

> A transcript of the boot session is attached. I hope someone can
> help me out here!
> Model: hp server rp2430 (model string 9000/800/A400-6X)

hehe...some things don't change despite marketing's efforts to
confuse people.

> PROCESSOR INFORMATION
>
> HVERSION SVERSION Processor
> Processor Speed Model Model/Op CVERSION State
> --------- -------- -------- -------- -------- -------------
> 0 650 MHz 0x05e1 0x0491 2. 3 Active

Only 2.2 CPU had interaction problems with Astro.

> Linux version 2.4.9-64 (root@paer) (gcc version 3.0) #1 Fri Nov 30
20:18:56
> MST 2001
> Check Chassis and Console Logs for error messages.
>
> 0x0000007000FF6292 000000F0 F0000000 - type 0 = Data Field Unused
> 0x5800087000FF6292 00006603 0A041F29 - type 11 = Timestamp 04/10/2002

This is an HPMC. HW didn't like something and died.

> P.S. I believe that *once* (assuming I wasn't dreaming) the above firmware

> 'SYSTEM ALERT' message didn't appear - instead, Linux, having gotten to
the
> same point (sym53c875...) simply hung. I made a point of waiting quite
some
> time (thinking perhaps the hard drive was taking its sweet time powering
up)
> so I'm pretty sure it really was 'hung.'

It's possible whatever "normally" cause the HPMC simpled wedged up the
system in a way that didn't cause anything to go fatal.
I suspect the same problem is still occurring.

> P.P.S. When I turn my system on, the 'Power' and 'Remote' LEDs glow solid,

> but the 'Run', 'Attention' and 'Fault' lights also flash, until the
'SYSTEM
> ALERT' appears, at which point the 'Run' light goes dark. Any ideas?

It's the state that the firmware left it in. I'm pretty sure
linux doesn't do anything with them.

grant

Donald S. Glascock
Mailstop RO-SN-2-220
Special Purpose Processor Development Group
Mayo Foundation
Rochester, MN  55905
  Glascock.Donald@Mayo.EDU   +1.507.538.5467   +1.507.284.9171 (fax)
  http://www.mayo.edu/sppdg
"No matter where you go, there you are."