Re: Install Woody on 715/50

On Sun, 2004-03-21 at 23:18, Kyle McMartin wrote:

> After installing the base system, but before installing the boot loader
> (and before rebooting for the first time), choose the option to start a
> shell from the installer. From here, you can cp the .deb to the /target
> filesystem, and chroot /target. Then you can simply dpkg -i the
> newer kernel image, exit the shell to return to the installer, and
> finish the installation.

That's coming close. I tried to install the 2.4.18 kernel, but it failed
on a depency of initrd-tools > 0.1.6. But that doesn't matter because
the 2.4.18 kernel appeared to be installed. I just modified the initial
link from (after chroot /target) /vmlinux -> /boot/vmlinux-2.4.17 to the
.18 kernel. So now it boots the 2.4.18 kernel.

Unfortunally, the keyboard still doesn't work correct. It seems like the
/etc/console/boottime.kmap.gz is not the correct file. It's an US
keyboard. The machine isn't that fast so I see a message that the keymap
has been loaded.

For making changes I can boot over the network and start a shell to make
changes.
Any more hints?

Kind regards,
Roland Leurs