Re: 712 + cups + parport

Hi,

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004, Damien wrote:

> Now that my 712 runs happily (Thanks), I would like to
> connect an old Deskjet printer to its parallel port.

I had this working for quite a while with a DeskJet 612C on my 715, before
I moved it down into the basement.

> - This printer works on a PC with Linux and Cups.
> - Cups works on the HP712 workstation, printing on a network
> postscript printer is OK.

I didn't have my DeskJet set up as a postscript printer, it was set up as
a 612C and was recognised as a 612C by Windows servers (using Samba and
Cups). Having the Deskjet run as a postscript printer (unless it genuinely
*is* a postscript printer) sounds a touch dubious to me, unless you have
various (unnecessary, IMHO) contortions with Ghostscript going on...

> But if I connect the printer to the HP 712 and configure
> CUPS to use it, it only prints garbage.

Is it text garbage or graphics garbage? Does it look like Postscript text?

> I saw a previous thread about the need to load a
> "parport_gsc" kernel module. I do have "CONFIG_PARPORT_GSC =
> Y" in my kernel config file, but no such module...

The relevant lsmod output on my 715 looks like this:

lp                      7028   0  (autoclean)
parport_gsc             4184   1
parport                16180   1  [lp parport_gsc]

The parallel port section in .config looks like this:

#
# Parallel port support
#
CONFIG_PARPORT=m
CONFIG_PARPORT_PC=m
CONFIG_PARPORT_PC_CML1=m
# CONFIG_PARPORT_SERIAL is not set
# CONFIG_PARPORT_PC_FIFO is not set
# CONFIG_PARPORT_PC_SUPERIO is not set
# CONFIG_PARPORT_AMIGA is not set
# CONFIG_PARPORT_MFC3 is not set
# CONFIG_PARPORT_ATARI is not set
CONFIG_PARPORT_GSC=m
# CONFIG_PARPORT_SUNBPP is not set
# CONFIG_PARPORT_OTHER is not set
# CONFIG_PARPORT_1284 is not set

I don't think it should matter if you compile it into the kernel or as a
module, though...

Cheers, Steve