Re: scsi problem on a scorpio (715)

On Tue, Jan 20, 2004 at 03:44:07PM +0100, Damien wrote:
> I downloaded scsitools and sg3-utils, I can see that write
> cache is enabled (sg -a /dev/sdx). How do I disable that?

man scsi-config
DESCRIPTION
       scsi-config queries information from an scsi target with a nice  Tcl/Tk
       user  interface.  If  you do not specify a device to query, scsi-config
       calculates a list of available devices and prompts it to you.

> (By the way, disabling write cache is better for
> "correctness", but I read somewhere that it may reduce the
> (somewhat long now) drive life).

I don't believe it since I've never heard that before.
I'd like to see the specific reference if you can find it.

> How do I reduce "Tag queue depth", i.e. recompile the 53c700
> driver?
> Do I have to:
> - download kernel sources
> - change #define NCR_700_MAX_TAGS in drivers/scsi/53c700.h
> - then "simply" (well, I never did that) recompile and
> install the new kernel?

Follow the guidelines Carlos posted...or read the "Build a Kernel"
off the main www.parisc-linux.org homepage:
	http://www.parisc-linux.org/kernel/index.html

If that page needs updating, it's in our CVS "web" (vs linux-2.4) repository.
I'll gladly take patches for that too.

grant