Re: Automount support in woody stock kernel

Joao Carlos de Lima Roscoe wrote:

Hi, Joel, everybody...

I've just checked out, and I already have libc6 and gcc installed. I've just browsed the stable packages list, and got kernel-source-2.4.18-hppa 12.1 as the newer one. Do you think that it would work?

Sorry, I haven't any experience with automount (but in cvs for 2.4.22 Willy added automount and smb into debian-configs (located into arch/parisc) so I think it should work)

Anabout the config stuff: I think that starting witk a working configuration and add the stuff I need (automount, samba) would be nice.

That would be the most logical way :)

Is there any way to start menuconfig with a "stock" configuration to begin with?

Yes: with debian when you install a kernel it's config file is located near the kernel, ie in /boot you have to find vmlinux-2.4.18-32, System.map-2.4.18-32 and the corresponding config-2.4.18-32. So copy this config file into your src tree as .config. Now you could use make menuconfig to customize your kernel. To build this kernel, the tips is 'make vmlinux'; followed by classical 'make modules' if you use modules support and 'make modules_install'. When the kernel is build, you just have to put vmlinux and System.map into your /boot (may be a seperate fs) as for instance vmlinux-2.4.18-t1 and System.map-2.4.18-t1, so that when you reboot (interupt the autoboot with [Esc]) you will want to interact with IPL (actualy palo) and just change the name of the kernel you want to boot with vmlinux-2.4.18-t1 (so that if it failed you can always easily with you working kernel ;) )

And about optimization, any hints (my machine is a C110 120 MHz with 4GB hard disk, 128MB of RAM and one PA7200 CPU)

:) I just recover a similar c110 (but the graphic card: HPA208LC1024 just support 8bits depth :( ) and it takes about 1h15min to build a new 2.6.0-test5 kernel. That say, I never pay attention to such optimisation but into 'Processor type' you can effectively select PA7200 support. (it would be interesting to compare results?)

Well, this will be a first-time newbie kernel compilation, so *all* help will be really welcome :-)