Re: Automount support in woody stock kernel

Joao Carlos de Lima Roscoe writes...

> Hi everybody,
>
> As far as I could understand, the stock kernel in my brand-new debian
> install (woody in a 9000 c110) does not support automount. I could not
> find any suitable module in my install, neither. Is it the only way
> install all development packages and compile my own custom kernel, or am
> I missing something?

I filed a wishlist bug against the kernel-patch-2.4.21-hppa package to have
autofs turned on as modules.

If/When it gets added(to that or a future version of the kernel-patch
package based on a newer kernel) you'll be able to install one of the
resulting kernel-image packages from unstable and have autofs. Those
kernel-image packages may eventually find their way into a woody point
release, but no one knows for sure. They will be in future major releases.

In order for the default Debian install to support it, the installer will
need to rebuilt using one of the fixed kernel-image packages mentioned
above. The ESIEE guys do this periodically and make them available at,

ftp://ftp.parisc-linux.org/cd-images/testing/auto-isos/isos

Maybe if this wishlist bug gets fixed they will generate some new ones with
the fix.

If you don't want to wait for all this to happen then you'll need to
rebuild your own kernel yourself as others have suggested. I suggest using
the Debian make-kpkg(1)(part of the "kernel-package" package) process so
that the resulting kernel is a normal kernel-image debian package.

HTH,

--
Matt Taggart
taggart@debian.org