Re: Apache can't find libdb.so.2

Peter Lavender said:
> Given my ignorance to this point, am I likely to break anything by
> changing my sources.list to track testing instead?

Shouldn't do.  You won't actually downgrade any packages by doing so;
you'll just have to wait until newer packages than what you currently
have installed are allowed into testing.

After running an 'apt-get update' you can run 'apt-get -s upgrade' for a
dry-run of what 'upgrade' would do; this will indicate any potential
breakages at a package-dependency level.  e.g. running upgrade now might
bring in a new version of foo that will cause bar to be removed, which
indicates a need to examine the situation more closely.  =)

> I think from memory, I thought that unstable was where all hppa
> packages existed.  I don't mind waiting for packages to be updated.

That's right, it certainly was the case six months or so ago, when
debian-hppa was a very fast-moving target.  Less so now IMO.  The old
testing distribution (woody) has been stabilised and included hppa, so
it's no longer the case that all hppa users have to track unstable to
simply have a working system.

> What about issues like securty updates, do they go through testing
> too?

Sadly no, you have to either wait for them to come down from unstable,
or install the unstable version directly; alternatively you can manually
downgrade the package using the stable security update.  We might see
security fixes for testing one day.  Not sure how far away that is
though.  They've only just recently got the new security update system
working (though it's doing very well).

Andrew.

--
Andrew Shugg <andrew@neep.com.au>                   http://www.neep.com.au/

"Just remember, Mr Fawlty, there's always someone worse off than yourself."
"Is there?  Well I'd like to meet him.  I could do with a good laugh."