Re: Apache can't find libdb.so.2

Hamish Moffatt said:
> On Sun, Aug 11, 2002 at 11:38:09PM +0100, Matthew Wilcox wrote:
> > On Mon, Aug 12, 2002 at 08:29:54AM +1000, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> > > Yes, which would've been OK if the breakage had been expressed using the
> > > dependency mechanism (conflicts).
> >
> > Absolutely, I should have used my masculine intuition to divine that
> > libc6 version 2.2.5-12 would drop support for libdb.so.2 and add a
> > conflict to it.

I don't see how you can find that unreasonable.  ;P

> I meant quite the opposite - that the new libc6 should've conflicted
> with current versions of apache.

Oh come on, that's just as ridiculous!  There are over 5,000 packages[1]
linked against (and thus depending on) the libc6 package.  The libc6
maintainer isn't likely to test all those packages and selectively add
conflicts with anything that gets broken.  No.  As willy said, welcome
to unstable.  The libc6 package changes, it's hopefully announced on the
debian-devel list so package maintainers have a bit of forewarning, bugs
are filed as things break, packages are rebuilt and uploaded.  The cycle
continues ...

Here are some simple rules if you're using Debian/unstable:

1)  Install the apt-listchanges package
2)  Whenever preparing to perform an apt-get upgrade, read through all
    the package changelogs for warnings from developers about changed
    behaviour in packages, breakages, etc
3)  Proceed to upgrade with caution

If you upgraded libc6 without reading the changelog, and then discovered
that apache broke, it's your fault and you get to keep the pieces.

The bleeding edge is intended for developers and people who are prepared
to have their system break a lot in exchange for the latest stuff.  And
I think it's called the bleeding edge for a reason.  ;)

There is the Debian/testing pool which is probably more appropriate for
the users of this list - or even better, use apt's pinning feature to
run Debian/testing and be able to install certain packages from unstable
if you really need them for hppa.

I, for example, do not currently run Debian/unstable on any systems.
I'm quite happy for other people to get burnt and am prepared to wait a
few days or weeks for new packages to filter down into testing.  I also
don't have the time to live on the edge - there's a lot of reading and
testing involved.  =)

Andrew.

[1]  No really!  5101 on Debian/i386/testing, today.  Just do an
     'apt-cache showpkg libc6' and look at the Reverse-Depends.

--
Andrew Shugg <andrew@neep.com.au>                   http://www.neep.com.au/

"Just remember, Mr Fawlty, there's always someone worse off than yourself."
"Is there?  Well I'd like to meet him.  I could do with a good laugh."