Re: php4 sessions

Here is the simple script I put together (lifted verbatim from
Programming PHP):

  <?php
  session_start();
  session_register('hits');
  ++$hits;
  ?>
  This page has been viewed <?= $hits ?> times.

It behaves as expected. See for yourself at
http://hans.fugal.net/ws/session.php

It looks to me like it's saving variables. I just looked in /tmp and
there's a few sess_* files and a session_mm_apache0.sem file.  Closer
inspection showed that most of them were from squirrelmail, and a couple
from my test page. So if it doesn't work for you perhaps squirrelmail
changed a setting somewhere to make it work for me... Further research
would probably be necessary.

Hans :)

* Randolph Chung (tausq@debian.org) [Mon, 24 Jun 2002 at 08:32 -0700]
<quote>
> In reference to a message from Hans Fugal, dated Jun 24:
> > My apologies for speaking before testing. I just set up a simple page
> > using sessions on the default configuration (woody) and sessions seem to
> > be working just fine.
> >
> > processor       : 0
> > cpu family      : PA-RISC 1.1b
> > cpu             : PA7100 (PCX-T)
> > cpu MHz         : 125.000000
> > model           : 9000/735
> > model name      : Snake Cheetah (735/130)
>
> including all the serialization/unserialization functionality? i think
> the ability to have sessions i not affected (i.e. have a session id that
> is tracked, etc). it's just that you cannot store variables and retrieve
> them later.
>
> randolph
> --
> Randolph Chung
> Debian GNU/Linux Developer, hppa/ia64 ports
> http://www.tausq.org/
>

> --
</quote>

--
"Everybody is talking about the weather but nobody does anything about it."
        -- Mark Twain