Re: php4 sessions

My apologies for speaking before testing. I just set up a simple page
using sessions on the default configuration (woody) and sessions seem to
be working just fine.

processor       : 0
cpu family      : PA-RISC 1.1b
cpu             : PA7100 (PCX-T)
cpu MHz         : 125.000000
model           : 9000/735
model name      : Snake Cheetah (735/130)

* Hans Fugal (hans@fugal.net) [Mon, 24 Jun 2002 at 09:11 -0600]
<quote>
> Quoting from README.Debian in /usr/doc/php4:
>
> <quote>
> On big-endian architectures (including: hppa, m68k, mips, powerpc,
> sparc, s390) the unserializer is broken.  What this means is that any
> variables that you serialize can't be unserialized, which is obviously a
> bit of a pain.  We would have liked to have had this fixed for the Woody
> release, but the release schedule was working against us on this one,
> and there's not much we can do about it.  If we can get an update
> approved for a 3.0rX point release, we'll try, but no promises.  What
> this means, is that the unserialize() function won't work properly, and
> unfortunately no sessions will work properly on these architectures. To
> repeat:
>
> Sessions do NOT work on hppa, m68k, mips, powerpc, sparc, s390
>
> Sorry about that. :(
> </quote>
>
> But it looks like people have gotten sessions to work on other
> big-endian architectures [1] by using shared-memory based session
> handling (i.e. setting 'session.save_handler = mm' in php.ini), and
> another person had luck with setting "magic_quotes_gpc = Off" in
> php.ini. The latter even mentions HP-UX vaguely.
>
> I'm going to try out either/both later today, but I wanted to throw that
> out in case others would benefit, and also ask what others have done to
> get around the problem.
>
> Hans :)
>
> --
> "Everybody is talking about the weather but nobody does anything about it."
>         -- Mark Twain
>

> --
</quote>