Re: PA-RISC assembler information

Matthew Wilcox wrote:
> On Thu, May 30, 2002 at 10:55:24AM +0800, Andrew Shugg wrote:
> > The GNU compiler collection isn't as mature on the hppa platform as on
> > ia32, sparc etc and so the optimisation of the assembley stage could be
> > described as "not fantastic yet".  =)
>
> Hmm, I'm not sure that's true.  hppa has been supported by gcc for
> over ten years; from the gcc 2.0 release notes:

pa2.0 support wasn't added until maybe 2 years ago. And the only folks
using gcc for PA2.0 are trying to build open source software under *HPUX*.
Kind of an odd combination. At least until the parisc-linux port
started *trying* to use it for 64-bit kernel builds.

HP has invested alot in it's own compiler technology. Last I heard
was that HP compiler generated ~15% faster code than gcc could
for hppa. Sorry, I don't remember more details.

I'm convinced there are tuning opportunities for both PA1.1 and PA2.0.

grant