Re: PA-RISC assembler information

On Thu, May 30, 2002 at 10:55:24AM +0800, Andrew Shugg wrote:
> The GNU compiler collection isn't as mature on the hppa platform as on
> ia32, sparc etc and so the optimisation of the assembley stage could be
> described as "not fantastic yet".  =)

Hmm, I'm not sure that's true.  hppa has been supported by gcc for
over ten years; from the gcc 2.0 release notes:

        Note that the type hppa currently works only with Berkeley
     systems, not with HP/UX.

Some other nuggets of information: gcc managed to do a better job of
implementing spin_lock() than it was (or is!) possible for me to do
in inlin assembler.  One of the first ports converted to the new DFA
pipeline model was the PA port; i386 & sparc were done later.