Micro-HOWTO debian-hppa on 715/80 with serial console & cdrom

Hi, no problem at all, it would be good to detail how I did
what I did so it can go into the mailing list archives.

Hardware:
  1 used HP 715/80 with 32M RAM, 1Gb, cd-rom ( from Ebay )
  1 salvaged HP 700/60 dumb terminal ( vt220 emulation )
  1 DB9f - DB9f null modem cable ( from www.cablesnmor.com )
  1 DB15 joystick extension cable ~AUI ( from cablesnmor )
  1 AUI to RJ45 ethernet transciever ( from Ebay )
  Pre-existing broadband 10/100 switch and DLink DI-501 router
  PC with cdrom burner

1. Preparations

   The first thing is to get your system in serial console mode.
   I didn't have a monitor that worked with the computer initially,
   but I did have a dumb terminal. You could use a pc running
   linux with minicom just as well. Set everything to 9600 8-n-1
   and set your terminal to vt100 or vt220. Plug in your null modem
   cable and fire up your terminal. Connect the joystick extension
   to the AUI port to the AUI transciever to your RJ-45 cable to
   your switch or hub.

   Luckily I had the HIL to PS/2 module, so I plugged my pc keyboard
   in and booted blind. You will either need a PS/2 or HIL kb to be
   able to make the initial switch to serial console.

   Press [Escape] repeatedly after powering on. This should get you to
   the BOOT ADMIN> prompt, but you won't see it.

   Boldly ( and carefully ) type
       path console rs232.9600.8.none
   This works for the 715/80, not sure about other machines.

   Cycle power. Hopefully you should get some output on your
   dumb terminal now. If so great! If not, keep trying I guess.

   If you get the BOOT ADMIN> prompt on your terminal you are
   stylin'!  Set the following:
       auto boot off
       auto search off

   At this point you can disconnect the PS/2 keyboard.

   Now you need a cdrom. Using NFS is beyond my scope here.

2. Make the cdrom

   I used the iso image "palinux-0.9-32serial.iso" from
   www.linux-parisc.org  When Debian woody is ready
   you should just follow the new instructions.

   Note: I tried the 0.9.2 image and it did _not_ work
   with this 715/80. You have been warned. Newer is
   not always better.

   Download and make the cdrom as per the CD-Writing
   HOWTO. In my case, after un-gzipping I just did:
       cdrecord -v speed=8 dev=0,6,0 -data palinux-0.9-32serial.iso

3. Ready to install!

   Pop your new cd in the HP drive and do this:
       search scsi

   It should report:
       Device Path        Device Type
       ---------       ----------
       scsi.2.0                TOSHIBA CD-ROM ....

   So set your boot path.
       path pri scsi.2.0

   And boot!
       boot

   If all goes well, you should get the debian install menu!

4. Installing

   On my system I had to do some trickery to get my hardware
   clock set. Execute a shell as soon as possible from the install
   menu and use the "date" command to set the date. This can
   be a pain as the format is peculiar. Something like:
       date 09 01 1800 2001
       ^D

   Then partition your disk. I made as so.
       sda1    20Mb    type F0
       sda2    850Mb    type Linux
       sda3    130Mb    type Linux Swap

   Activate and initialize your partitions

   Install the kernel. No modules are required.
   Install the base system
   Make the system bootable
   Reboot

   Now, at BOOT ADMIN, when you "search scsi" your hard disk
   should show up. change your "path pri" to reflect this.
       path pri scsi.6.0
       boot

   You should get more installation questions. Answer them and eventually
   select "Advanced Installation" to start dselect.

   Quit immediately from dselect. Do not install anything.

   Login as root. Switch to /etc/apt and edit sources.list
       vi sources.list

   Comment out the cdrom line and add this line:
       deb http://us.debian.org/debian/ testing main

   Save and install apt-utils before anything else.
       apt-get install apt-utils

   Then upgrade the base system.
       apt-get upgrade

   This is where I am at currently.

5. Experiment, Tinker, Reinstall, etc.

   Now you can fine-tune, fix bugs, etc.

   It took me a few rounds to get it working.

Hope this helps!
- Doug

Albert Strasheim wrote:

Good day,

I see you've been busy with an install (from your posts on debian-hppa),
and I was wondering if you could provide me with a brief summary of what
you've done so far.

There you go!

I have (I think :-)) a 725/50 (if such a thing exists), with a SCSI
CD-ROM and other goodies. I tried booting the 0.92 Install ISO from
parisc-linux.org, but after loading the ramdisk, my 19" (grayscale...
hehe) display goes blank, the CD-ROM still reads for a bit and then
nothing.

I presume I need to get some kind of serial terminal going at this
point? Any idea where I can get some docs on this as well?

Hope I'm not bothering you too much. :-)

Thanks in advance.

Albert

No problem. Hope it proves useful for you.