Re: Version 0.9 of PA-RISC Linux Released

Matthew -

Great idea - both sites should CLEARLY cross-link their information pages.

My own suggestions:
1) - leave the /devel directory on the CD image until at least
version 12.0.0 of pa-risc.linux.

I am using the kernel snap-shot of 06/03/2001 - in the hopes
that it is close to what was used to build the kernels in V0.9 -
but that is only a guess on my part

2) - don't drop a built kernel into an image of even a pre-release
CD until it compiles error (and warning) free.

Some of the problems I have found and fixed were clearly
mentioned by the compiler.

3) - Note to others trying fix "Old Box" support -

Please use a command line such as:
date >0603_something_cmnd.txt ; \
date >0603_something_errs.txt ; \
make vmlinux (or whatever) >>0603_something_cmnd.txt 2>>0603_something_errs.txt

Then tar-zip the linux/.config, ...cmnd.txt, and the ...errs.txt -
attach to e-mail directed to Mike <mszick@pfash.com>

The more paths through this code taken by the compiler, the faster
I should be able to find (and maybe fix) the "Old Box" support.

4) - Note to folks posting the daily kernel snapshots -
4.a) - Please make the "daily snapshots" contain only changed
files from the prior "daily snapshot".
4.b) - Please make a "complete" kernel snapshot only once
a week.
4.c) - Please include the three files mentioned above in
each and every snapshot.

Being able to diff those three files is a big aid in making
progress on these problems.

Mike