Re: pa-risc V0.9 on Model 720 (+ others)

On Tue, 05 Jun 2001, Matthew Wilcox wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 05, 2001 at 11:36:37AM -0500, Michael S. Zick wrote:
> > Without either BA's defined - in/out Byte, Word, Long does not have
> > a prototype in mem.c (amoung other places) - the compiler guesses
> > (incorrectly) at what inb() and outb() mean.
>
> That's a known-bad configuration.  You have to have some kind of PCI
> or EISA controller configured in.

Only if you intend to never support non-PCI, non-EISA older boxes.

Regardless of your intent - proper combinations of CONFIG_xxxxx
are supposed to be handled by the (x)config step of the build process.
After all - that is what "configure" means (in English).

To do a clean job of this - a selection of "Box Model" (similar to "Processor Type")
may have to be added to the configuration scripts.  With corresponding #ifdef/#ifndef
statements in the relavent code.

At the moment - I have tunnel vision - I am focused on getting a personal copy
of parisc-linux to boot on my model 720 box.

The comments and findings I post to the mailing lists may be freely disregarded
by anyone not interested them.  Still, they will exist in the mail list archives so that
any developer working on a public version of this kernel can use them for hints, leads
and other ideas.

Mike