Re: hpc team

On 23/12/2017 08:46, Afif Elghraoui wrote:
>> Team mailing lists are very much fine. There are
>> many examples of those on https://lists.debian.org/completeindex.html.
>> They existed for years now. I do not expect listmasters to remove them.
>
> I know at least for debian-med, debian-science, and debian-python, they
> also have mailing lists on alioth, which they use in the maintainer
> fields. The lists.debian.org address is only used for general discussion.

Yeah, that's quite common in fact. Many team are using @lists.d.o addresses
in Maintainers fields and as a general contact address.

>> (Also, gitlab is not ready yet. But that's another topic).
>>
>> For commit notifications, I agree that tracker.d.o does the job pretty
>> well and it enough for that purpose. The rest is much more easier to
>> handle with a regular mailing-list, especially for newcomers>
>
> All this you're talking about refers to commits mailing lists, which I
> agree is straightforward.
>
> I found a lead on my question on the same page I linked previously [1]:
>
>> Can e-mail addresses of the form <package>@tracker.debian.org be used
>> as maintainer team address in Maintainer or Uploader fields of
>> package? not yet. ftp-master needs to be fixed, see above.
>
> and, above, it says [2]:
>
>> For the maintainer field, the <package>@packages.debian.org address
>> should be used (although that needs the fix for 871575 to be deployed
>> on ftp-master, see this discussion for details
> <https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2017/09/msg00272.html>.
>
> Although it looks like this has happened already (at least, that bug is
> fixed in stretch-backports). Maybe we can already start using
>
> Maintainer: Debian HPC Team <packagename@packages.debian.org>

I have to admit that I don't like it because this approach is still pretty
young and not all tools are ready yet (e.g., DDPO and Tracker itself).

For example, have a look at the following packages:
- https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/siridb-server
- https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/libcleri

The maintainer box is not even shown. Those two packages are btw the only
ones using the schema you are referring to.

On DDPO, it is even more misleading:
- https://qa.debian.org/developer.php?login=libcleri%40packages.debian.org

People unfamiliar with our tools may believe SiriDB Maintainers are
maintaining one single package, while it is not.

IMHO, it may be a reasonable goal to set in the long term. I don't think it
is the best plan today (given the state of our tools).

Regards,

--
Mehdi