Re: Contributing to pandoc dependencies: many packages to upload

On Tue, 2022-05-31 at 09:52 -0400, Scott Talbert wrote:
> > Quoting Scott Talbert (2022-05-31 15:04:51)
> > > In thinking about the packages that are FTBFS when using
> > > LC_ALL=C, this is
> > > cause by somewhat of a regression in haskell-devscripts, since
> > > the old
> > > install recipe used to set LC_ALL=C.UTF-8[1] before running the
> > > command
> > > where most of these packages are failing (due to the copyright
> > > symbol).
> > >
> > > I'm thinking that rather than update all of these individual
> > > packages (and
> > > who knows how many more) to set LC_ALL=C.UTF-8, we should restore
> > > this
> > > setting in haskell-devscripts, and perhaps even set LC_ALL=C.UTF-
> > > 8
> > > globally in hlibrary.mk?
> > >
> > > What do you all think?
> >
> > I think it should be set as minimally as possible - and clearly
> > documented.
> >
> > E.g. only within the rules known to specifically need it, not
> > loaded
> > into the global make environment across all make targets.
>
> That was my initial thinking, too.  However, the buildd's set
> LC_ALL=C.UTF-8, so wouldn't we want packages built outside the
> buildd's to
> be built consistently?

I think it might make sense to be as minimal as possible. I think the
reproducibility tests alternative locales (e.g., fr_CH.UTF-8). If we
force this for everything it would make it impossible to run buildtime
tests in different locales.

If it is fixed minimally, the haskell-filestore package will need it
setting in debian/rules as the tests explicitly test non-ascii
filepaths.

For reference, there are 164 packages that FTBFS that are maintained by
the haskell team.

--
Robert