Re: Contributing to pandoc dependencies: many packages to upload

On Tue, 31 May 2022, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:

Quoting Scott Talbert (2022-05-31 15:04:51)
On Mon, 30 May 2022, Robert Greener wrote:

On Mon, 2022-05-30 at 15:18 +0000, Robert Greener wrote:
On Mon, 2022-05-30 at 14:20 +0100, Robert Greener wrote:
Thanks to Jonas noticing that some of the lua packages failed to
build
from source, I checked the one's I've uploaded and a few fail to
build
also because the locale is not set.

Would you be able to upload the following packages[1,2,3] and merge
the
requests[8,9,10].

All I've done to all of them is add LC_ALL=C.UTF-8 to debian/rules.

There are also the two packages mentioned that fixes the bugs Jonas
identified. I've included them here for convenience (mentors[4,5],
MR[11,12]). These are fixed in the same way (LC_ALL...)

Just hold off on these for a minute Scott if you've seen this...

I've forgot to put a colon between closes and the bug number in the
changelog so they won't autoclose.

All OK now.

In thinking about the packages that are FTBFS when using LC_ALL=C, this is
cause by somewhat of a regression in haskell-devscripts, since the old
install recipe used to set LC_ALL=C.UTF-8[1] before running the command
where most of these packages are failing (due to the copyright symbol).

I'm thinking that rather than update all of these individual packages (and
who knows how many more) to set LC_ALL=C.UTF-8, we should restore this
setting in haskell-devscripts, and perhaps even set LC_ALL=C.UTF-8
globally in hlibrary.mk?

What do you all think?

I think it should be set as minimally as possible - and clearly
documented.

E.g. only within the rules known to specifically need it, not loaded
into the global make environment across all make targets.

That was my initial thinking, too. However, the buildd's set LC_ALL=C.UTF-8, so wouldn't we want packages built outside the buildd's to be built consistently?

Scott