Re: Transition, libghc-xmonad-dev

Quoting Adam Sjøgren (2020-07-14 13:53:58)
> Jonas writes:
>
> > Quoting Adam Sjøgren (2020-07-05 17:58:57)
>
> >> Maybe I should try to get rid of the dependency on Text.Pandoc in
> >> xmonad, it is only used to generate the man-page from a markdown file
> >> with some keybindings inserted.
>
> > If xmonad really only use pandoc for translating markdown, then it
> > sounds quite sensible to me to try (only) use cmark instead.
>
> xmonad's GenerateManPage uses Text.Pandoc to convert markdown to both
> man (troff) and html, if cmark can do the first conversion as well, your
> suggestion sounds like a good idea.

Seems that way: Upstream README at https://github.com/jgm/cmark-hs
mentions that "[o]utput in HTML, groff man, LaTeX, CommonMark, and a
custom XML format is supported."

If you are lucky it is an easy patch - possibly also needing slight
adjustments to markdown source data to match the stricter CommonMark
spec.

I no longer use xmonad myself, but remember frm when I did that the
biggest frustration was that you'd need a working _development_
environment, and each time Haskell packages went out of sync (using
Debian unstable), xmonad was one of the last ones to get back in sync.
I imagine that a decoupling from Pandoc might change that.

 - Jonas