Re: hoogle autopkgtest

On Thu, Jul 10, 2014 at 10:30:08PM +0200, Joachim Breitner wrote:
> Dear Iustin,
>
> Am Donnerstag, den 10.07.2014, 22:14 +0200 schrieb Iustin Pop:
> > On Thu, Jul 10, 2014 at 10:05:19PM +0200, Joachim Breitner wrote:
> > > Still, can we prevent it from downloading? Its not nice if programs
> > > fetch stuff from the internet without asking. And if we can get it to be
> > > silent on stderr this way, even better. "allow-stderr" might make use
> > > miss real errors.
> >
> > The test suite here runs with -e, so I think that's good enough. I think
> > a stop-gap of making the test suite pass, and only then see why it wants
> > to download the database
>
> ok, fair point. Feel free to add the allow-stderr flag.
>
> >  - I'm not familiar with the debianization of
> > hoogle, does it do this even on end-user machines?
> >
> > I see that already the package includes the jquery sources in its
> > debian/ dir. Is that an acceptable way to include the database? Or do
> > you mean to generate it from the installed packages?
>
> We already generate it from the installed packages using
> "update-hoogle", see the postinst script and the trigger. Therefore I
> don’t think it should download the database at all.

Just checked now, and even for a "real" (non-autopkgtest) install, it
still downloads. So there seems to be something wrong with
update-hoogle…

It seems that hoogle changed significantly between 4.2.26 and 4.2.27;
the changelog mentions just "Rewrite how "hoogle data" works", but what
I see:

- 4.2.26 still uses the $DATADIR/download (which we pre-populate), but
  that code is removed in 84a26afff2, because:
- commit e6c1dfb5d6 closes issue 47, "Use Shake for generating the
  databases"; this changes the path to downloads/, and expects different
  things

I guess our update-hoogle is now quite outdated, so needs
rewriting to be able to (again) fake things as to how hoogle expects
them.

I would guess that the upstream is not following our use case well, so
maybe we should with him if we want to be able to keep packaging hoogle…
Shall I?

iustin