Re: lens build failures

Hi Edward,

looking at this issue again...

Am Montag, den 28.04.2014, 15:22 -0400 schrieb Edward Kmett:
> A better fix might be to push down the no-TH machinery to the
> reflection package and add back the dependency.
>
> The core of reflection should work fine without TH. It is just the
> splices for `int`, `nat` and the liftings of numeric instances that
> let you write `$(5)` to splice a type Nat that need to be disabled.
>
> Also, it might be worth considering if thereis a problem with building
> the actual template-haskell library on stage1 or merely with using the
> LANGUAGE pragma for TemplateHaskell on stage1.

I’m a bit confused by the situation. Unless I’m mistaken, then version
1.2.0.1 (which is in Debian) uses no TemplateHaskell at all.

1.3 starts using TH features that would not work on a stage1 compiler, I
believe. Do you have to use TH here or can do without?

> If it is just the latter I'd say you might consider including
> template-haskell, but hunting for the uses of the TemplateHaskell
> pragma instead.

We have the uses in (the new) reflection, so we either
      * skip this package and all reverse dependencies, including lense,
        on non-TH-arches
      * skip this package and patch out its uses from its revdeps
      * patch out the actual TH-using elements of reflection and hope
        that they are not needed.

The further down the less cut-down is the support on
on-TH-architectures, but also the more work it is and the risk of
unexpected breakage is higher.

> At least fix-doctest-float-implementations.diff isn't needed any more.
> We merged something like it a while ago.

Thanks. We actually didn’t apply that patch (its not in the series
file), but it was just a left over.

Am Montag, den 28.04.2014, 16:04 -0300 schrieb Raúl Benencia:
> I didn't want to release the version 2 of the package because a test is
> failing on some[1] architectures due to rounding issues. Can anyone suggest
> a clean way, other than disabling the test, to fix this problem?
>
> [1] https://buildd.debian.org/status/package.php?p=haskell-lens

That’s just hurd, is it? In that case, ignore it. And also otherwise: An
upload does not have to fix all problems, it is always useful to have it
fix one problem.