Re: copyright file

On Fri, 09 May 2014 19:00:22 +0200
Joachim Breitner <nomeata@debian.org> wrote:

> it isn’t? It should be... Feel free to improve the template in any way
> sou think it ought to be improved.
>
> Just making sure: We are both talking about
> http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=pkg-haskell/tools.git;a=tree;f=template-debian
> right?

Oh no. I threw around two different things. That template is perfectly
fine.

> > > (If you agree, please also change the copyright file in setlocale
> > > accordingly.)
> >
> > Setlocale is public domain. So I guess we could distribute it under a
> > BSD-3 license, but should we really do that?
>
> In that case I’d would have suggested something like
>
>         Format: https://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/copyright-format/1.0/
>         Upstream-Name: haskell-setlocale
>         Source: hackage.haskell.org/package/setlocale
>
>         Files: *
>         License: Public Domain
>          The author of this package, Lukas Mai, placed this package in
>         the
>          Public Domain.
>
>         Files: debian/*
>         License: Public Domain
>          The maintainer of this package, Sven Bartscher, placed this
>           packaging in the Public Domain.
>
> but honestly, I don’t care too much.

I would, but as I know german law says that the rights of authors
*must* be protected and because of that german authors can't place
anything in the public domain.
So I would suggest we just leave setlocale the way it is. Even though I
agree with you that it doesn't really make sense to apply copyright to
debian/.

Regards
Sven