Re: Moving to shared libraries?

Joachim Breitner <nomeata@debian.org> writes:
> yes, there has been discussion, and as far I as know, the reasons in
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-haskell/2010/03/msg00122.html
> still apply. Plus, I think, it is not supported on all architectures.

Thanks for pointing out the older discussion.

My personal interest in using dynamic libraries stems from the desire to
to run multiple applications with a greater amount of code shared,
making hosting those applications on a memory constrained shared virtual
host more feasible.

And, of course, there are all the other reasons that usually recommend
shared libraries---getting security fixes without requiring recompiles, etc.

That said, it does sound like there are a lot of technical issues.  I
wonder if some of the infrastructure that the C++ developers have used
to try to handle ABI changes could be helpful?

Regardless, I don't necessarily expect anyone to do this _for_ me, but I
hope that if I could come up with some specific suggestions for how to
deal with this that it would be at least considered?

Mike.