Re: Darcs 2.7.99.1 to unstable? (was Re: [Pkg-haskell-maintainers] darcs_2.7.99.1-1_amd64.changes ACCEPTED into experimental)

Hi,

Am Dienstag, den 03.04.2012, 22:06 +0100 schrieb Iain Lane:
> On Tue, Apr 03, 2012 at 08:07:21PM +0200, Joachim Breitner wrote:
> > first I’d like to see some clarity about the effect of the filename
> > encoding problems: Do they affect all repos with non-ASCII-Filenames? Or
> > just repositories with filenames not representable in the current
> > locale? Depending on the severity, we might want to put a notice into a
> > NEWS.Debian file, and/or have Darcs warn the user when it comes across a
> > problematic filename (if it is not doing that already).
>
> I believe the new darcs doesn't have problems because it works around
> the default representation of filenames changing by setting the encoding
> to use explicitly to char8.
>
> Old darcs, if patched to build, could crash when trying to print
> filenames containing it can't represent (just a guess, but I was
> informed that it would be broken when asking upstream some time ago).

Here is an official statement about this (taken from the beta2 release
announcement):

Supported GHC versions and Unicode filenames.

Due to changes in ghc's handling of non-ASCII filenames, darcs 2.8rc1
supports GHC versions 6.10.x, 6.12.x, 7.0.x, and 7.4.x. Version 7.2.x is
also supported on Windows. On Unix systems, version 7.2.x is disabled by
the cabal file, as using a darcs executable built using ghc 7.2.x could
make the on-disk format of repositories inconsistent.

So it looks we are safe to go; the next Darcs upload may go to unstable.