Re: Support for dynamic libraries

Hi,

Am Dienstag, den 16.03.2010, 00:53 -0400 schrieb Tyson Whitehead:
> Attached is a patch to add support for GHC generated dynamic libraries.  With
> this patch, all you need to do is add -dyn entry to the control file.
>
> I've attached a patch that does this for the mtl as an example.  To compile
> against the shared libraries do
>
>  ghc --make -dynamic <source.hs>
>
> Cheers!  -Tyson

thanks for your work, it will certainly be helpful if we decide to start
providing dynamic libraries in Debian.

But I’m not sure if the benefits are great: Dynamic libraires offer no
ABI stability, so each program will be uninstallable and will have to be
recompiled whenever any library changes. Currently, this is only true
for haskell libraries. So at the moment, only developers have to worry
about this, but to users (of, say, darcs or hpodder), all this is
invisible. This is a very strong benefit.

Also, building tools like hscolour with dynamic libraries will make the
uninstallable after a library update, which in turn makes the libraries
un-buildable – very undesireable.

What benefits would we get from dynamic libraries, besides smaller
binaries?