Re: Darcs 2.7.99.1 to unstable? (was Re: [Pkg-haskell-maintainers] darcs_2.7.99.1-1_amd64.changes ACCEPTED into experimental)

On Tue, Apr 03, 2012 at 08:07:21PM +0200, Joachim Breitner wrote:
> first I’d like to see some clarity about the effect of the filename
> encoding problems: Do they affect all repos with non-ASCII-Filenames? Or
> just repositories with filenames not representable in the current
> locale? Depending on the severity, we might want to put a notice into a
> NEWS.Debian file, and/or have Darcs warn the user when it comes across a
> problematic filename (if it is not doing that already).

I believe the new darcs doesn't have problems because it works around
the default representation of filenames changing by setting the encoding
to use explicitly to char8.

Old darcs, if patched to build, could crash when trying to print
filenames containing it can't represent (just a guess, but I was
informed that it would be broken when asking upstream some time ago).

--
Iain Lane                                  [ iain@orangesquash.org.uk ]
Debian Developer                                   [ laney@debian.org ]