Re: RFH: ghc

Hi,

Am Freitag, den 14.01.2011, 18:20 +0530 schrieb Joachim Breitner:
> Am Freitag, den 14.01.2011, 10:45 -0200 schrieb Marco Túlio Gontijo e
> Silva:
> > Excerpts from Joachim Breitner's message of Sex Jan 14 10:39:58 -0200 2011:
> > (...)
> > > Am Freitag, den 14.01.2011, 10:04 -0200 schrieb Marco Silva:
> > (...)
> > >
> > > I think that we should not do too much in one step, at least not if
> > > these steps are easily separated. Anything that requires changes to all
> > > libraries (such as renaming to libghc-) should be done in one step.
> > > Nothing more.
> >
> > I wasn't talking about the rename of libraries, but of the split of ghc6
> > package.  But I agree that things should be done one at a time.
> >
> > You mean we should rename the libraries to libghc before uploading the ghc7
> > package?
>
> no, that can happen at the same time. Or rather: ghc-7 is uploaded
> first, making everything uninstallable, and then we fix this up by
> uploading all libraries.
>
> > > What we could do to further simplify the haskell-* packages: Create a
> > > meta package haskell-build-essentials which depends on
> > > haskell-devscripts, the current ghc package, ghc-doc, ghc-prof, haddock
> > > etc. This way:
> > >  * The build dependency list of haskell libraries becomes very small.
> > >  * ghc could build-depend on haskell-devscripts, so we do not have to
> > > copy the code that generates the hash-based dependencies.
> >
> > Is there an advantage of doing this over just including ghc, ghc-doc, ghc-prof
> > and haddock as a dependency of haskell-devscripts?

ok, I misread your question.

Yes, there is an advantage: This way, ghc can build-depend on
haskell-devscripts and make use of the scripts therein, even on
architectures where there is no ghc package or if
haskell-build-essentials would depend on the newer ghc package that we
are just trying to build. Or if we add a program to
haskell-build-essentials (e.g. a leksah data collector) that we don’t
want ghc to build-depend on. So it’s just avoiding some loop and
allowing for special treatment of ghc.