Re: RFH: ghc

Hi.

Excerpts from Joachim Breitner's message of Sex Jan 14 10:39:58 -0200 2011:
(...)
> Am Freitag, den 14.01.2011, 10:04 -0200 schrieb Marco Silva:
(...)
> > Also, there is the problem of the size of the package.  I thought about
> > splitting the haskell packages from the compiler package, generating, for
> > instance, libghc-base-dev, libghc-containers-dev, libghc-cabal-dev and so on.
> > What do you think?
>
> I think that we should not do too much in one step, at least not if
> these steps are easily separated. Anything that requires changes to all
> libraries (such as renaming to libghc-) should be done in one step.
> Nothing more.

I wasn't talking about the rename of libraries, but of the split of ghc6
package.  But I agree that things should be done one at a time.

You mean we should rename the libraries to libghc before uploading the ghc7
package?

> What we could do to further simplify the haskell-* packages: Create a
> meta package haskell-build-essentials which depends on
> haskell-devscripts, the current ghc package, ghc-doc, ghc-prof, haddock
> etc. This way:
>  * The build dependency list of haskell libraries becomes very small.
>  * ghc could build-depend on haskell-devscripts, so we do not have to
> copy the code that generates the hash-based dependencies.

Is there an advantage of doing this over just including ghc, ghc-doc, ghc-prof
and haddock as a dependency of haskell-devscripts?

Greetings.
(...)
--
marcot